Monday, 11 August 2008

a bit of a stretch?

So here is my first card made using one of the new Spring Mini sets, Always. As soon as I saw this set this idea popped into my mind and I am quite happy with how it came together. Maybe it's because of my middle name but this little birdy had to become a cute "red, red robin a bob, bob bobbin' along".. bring back Primary school!?! Now I don't know if you think it is Christmassy enough, I was told it was a bit of a stretch using this set for Christmas, (hi Marelle ;0) but it reminds me of the old style of English Christmas scene with the robin and the berries.
Images © Stampin' Up!® 1990-2008
To make the berries I used my crop-a-dile to punch some real red cardstock. The card was very unbalanced with the big strip of white at the bottom so I had to add something. I used a section of the scalloped circled punch which I then punched further using the smallest circle punch, to add detail to the top corners and try to balance the card out. I'm not convinced but it's growing on me! The shadows show the lovely late afternoon winter sun we were enjoying in our back room.
Finally for the birdy I don't have the earth elements markers but the spots worked quite well to give the two coloured effect. I used Ruby Red on the birdy's chest and Close to Cocoa elsewhere and edged it in Chocolate Chip. What do you think?

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi Kirrily, this is beautiful. It definetly works as a Christmas card. You are right - it is bery Victorian.

Sam Coppack said...

That turned out really well Kirrily! Great job!

Lorna said...

I love it Kirrily. It works well as a Christmas card too.

Kim Tonnet said...

I really love this card Kirrily. Works for me for Christmas or other occasion. Love KimT

Caroline said...

...there'll be no more sobbin' when he starts throbbin' his ole sweet song.....Finally!! someone who remembers these songs from school - I was beginning to think that a whole generation had been abducted by aliens!! haha. (Well us cool ones anyway that remember the songs!)

Lovely card, I think it is good as a chrissy card, definately different from the traditional and thats what people want these days.

Love IT

Caroline

Ruth said...

what a great card!

Leah said...

What a lovely Christmas Card. Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin