Monday, 17 March 2008

what to do with chipboard?!

YAY my first tutorial - not without it's dramas but memorable none the less - I'll explain later!
So if you've ever thought "I like chipboard but I wouldn't know what to do with it" then read on. It's quite easy actually.
Today I thought I'd show you how to ink and emboss chipboard.
All going well I'll attempt to show another chipboard technique next week.

1. First choose your chipboard. SU!'s On Board Simon Lower has great "big impact" chipboard alphabet and numerical pieces with a few extra symbols thrown in. Perfect for monograms or age birthday cards like the one I made for my little man's 2nd birthday.

Images © Stampin' Up!® 1990-2008

2. Choose your ink colour and cover with ink either by pressing ink pad onto chipboard or placing chipboard on top of ink pad and covering with paper to protect your fingers then pressing onto ink pad.


3. With ink pad closed squeeze in the middle of the pad so when you open it up you have ink on the lid. Using a water colour brush pick up some of this ink and use it to reach uninked places or blend uneven sections.


4. Once totally coloured cover with VersaMark™ ink.
(You might notice the colour of the number has changed slightly - this was my mid tutorial disaster which I'll show pics of tomorrow - something to do with paint, a phone call and a two year old! Also meant the tutorial was finished at night time so the lighting changed - sorry!)


5. With scrap paper underneath sprinkle clear embossing powder over the ink until completely covered. Tap excess off and funnel back into container.
6. Heat with a heat gun until the powder melts (goes shiny)
I repeated this process to give it a thicker coat,
you don't need to reink just pour more powder on while it is still warm.

Sorry for the fuzzy photo!

7. Then attach to your card

I used an old set from last years S-A-B called So Very. Seemed appropriate for my little man who is all of these things and more.

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial!
Please let me know if you have any questions or if in my madness
I've completely left out a step or two!!



7 comments:

Marelle Taylor said...

awesome Tutorial Kirrily! The card looks great :o)

Rosanne said...

Thanks K, I was wondering what to do with chipboard. Now I want to get some and give it a whirl!

Sam Coppack said...

It looks great Kirrily! Now I know how to do 2 things with chipboard! Thanks!

KimT said...

Thanks Kirily, it's a great tutorial. Well done and keep on blogging. Love KimT (SU! Demo and friend of Marelle's).

Sue M said...

How timely. I was just wondering how to work with chipboard and read about your tutorial on Yvonne's site. Great instructions! Look forward to the next one.

Sue M said...

Oops typo there - I meant Marelle's site. All this blog surfing I'm getting mixed up - apologies!

Tracy Bayley said...

Thank you for that tutorial Kirrily :) I have tried a few times to decorate chipboard and always give up in disgust. I might give this a go. Keep up the tutorials ;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin